estate planning attorney

Why Do I Need A Guardianship?

Cleveland, Ohio, Estate Planning and elder law attorney, Daniel A. Baron, offers the following information on creating a Children’s Testamentary Trust for your loved ones. Is it the best option for you when creating your estate plan?

Most people understand and realize that they should name a Legal Guardian for their minor children. However, many people don’t take the necessary step further to consider the financial aspects of guardianship after a parent passes away. Creating a testamentary trust can alleviate this worry and for the most part is inexpensive to create.

Consider Establishing a Children’s Trust

Establishing a Children’s Trust, aka a Testamentary Trust, in your will, now creates a way for you to take care of your minor children after you have passed away. By naming a Trustee to oversee the trust allows them to take care of your children’s financial needs for everyday living and any health issues which may arise, as well as their future education needs.

What happens to your property should you pass and have minor children?

Unless specifically noted otherwise in your will, when you pass and your children are of legal age, they will automatically inherit all your property. But what happens if your children are minors?  When a Children’s Trust is established you can appoint a Trustee, or ‘Property Manager’ to oversee the property to make certain your minor children have a place to live and are cared for.  In the absence of a Property Manager being named, the courts will appoint a Property Custodian.  Depending on your individual circumstances, you may want to consider creating a Life Estate.

Should I create a trust for each of my minor children?

Upon your passing any children of legal age will automatically inherit your assets unless otherwise specified in your will. Let’s assume you have minor children, then it would be wise to set up a trust for each child and name a trustee to oversee the trust to make certain that the funds and property are used for the child’s needs and in their best interest.

If you do not wish to establish a trust for each child, consider a revocable living Trust or  Family Trust.  The Trustee(s) would handle this single trust in the same manner as if you were to set up individual trusts for each child.

When creating your Comprehensive Estate Plan you need to speak with an experienced Estate Planning lawyer. Contact Daniel A. Baron or Baron Law today at 216-573-3723 to answer any questions you may have on a creating a Children’s Trust.  I welcome the opportunity to work with you and help recommend the best solution for your needs.

Helping You and Your Loved Ones Plan for the Future