Estate Planning Lawyer - Cleveland Ohio - Baron Law LLC

Do I need a Trust?

Exploring whether you need a trust may be answered below visiting this questionnaire:   In addition, you may find the following information written by Cleveland, Ohio estate planning lawyer Daniel A. Baron useful.

Even if your name isn’t Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, it does not necessarily mean that the need for you to establish a trust does not exist. If your Net Worth is greater than $100,000* and you have very specific desires as to how you would like to disperse your assets after you pass away, you should consider creating a trust.  Although you would have a will in place as well, by establishing a trust you will maximize your tax benefits.  In addition this will also protect your assets from creditors and ensure that your heirs receive the items you would like to pass onto them.  This not only pertains to liquid assets such as cash and your investments but property as well.

There are a number of different trusts available to you to create which can protect your assets and minimize your estate taxes at the end. Each of us has our own needs when it comes to protecting our assets for the next generation and to make sure that your wishes are followed after your passing.

Some of the different types of trusts you may want to discuss to see what best suits your needs:

  • Revocable
  • Irrevocable
  • Credit Shelter / A-B Trust
  • Generation Skipping
  • QPRT
  • Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
  • Children’s Trust
  • Medicaid Trust
  • Life Estate Trust
  • Medicaid Asset Protection Trust
  • Intentional Defective Grantor Trust

To see what trust is best suited for you, contact an Estate Planning Lawyer. These are some of the topics you should be prepared to discuss:

  • Do your investments name a beneficiary or do they have a POD (payable on death) or a TOD (transfer upon death) form attached to them?
  • Do you have a child with special need that you need to have cared for after your passing?
  • Do you own any real estate out of state?
  • Do you have a unique plan of how you would like your estate divided?

*To determine your Net Worth take the sum of your total assets (cash, property, investments, etc.) and subtract your total liabilities (mortgage balance, credit card debt, etc.). Plain and simple take what is OWNED and subtract what is OWED.

To get answers to your questions as to what type of trust is best suited for your specific needs you should speak with an experienced Estate Planning lawyer. Contact Daniel A. Baron of Baron Law today at 216-573-3723 to answer any questions you may have on creating your trust.  We welcome the opportunity to work with you and recommending the best solution for your estate planning needs.

Helping You and Your Loved Ones Plan for the Future


estate planning attorney

What Is A Credit Shelter Trust?

Cleveland, Ohio estate planning lawyer, Daniel A. Baron, of Cleveland, Ohio, offers the following information on what a Credit Shelter Trust is and should it be part of your comprehensive estate planning.

If you are married and an investor, for example, consider establishing a Credit Shelter Trust. This can also be referred to as an A-B Trust and is an Irrevocable Trust.

The benefits of a Credit Shelter Trust is, that it allows the assets of the trust (up to a predetermined amount, i.e. $500,000) to transfer to the beneficiaries specified within the trust, typically your children, without any estate taxes being assessed.    Also, your spouse continues to have all rights to the assets of the trust and any income generated until the spouse passes away.

If you are a blended family, a Credit Shelter Trust might be the right tool for you as part of your comprehensive estate planning. If at the time of death of the first spouse the assets of the deceased spouse to immediately into the Credit Shelter Trust.  If the assets transferred are larger than the predetermined amount (we used $500,000 as the example), the excess assets go into a trust which qualifies for the Marital Deduction.  Since the Credit Shelter Trust is irrevocable, it has great estate tax liability advantages as well as making certain your assets are passed along to your beneficiaries, typically your surviving spouse and your children.  Establishing a Credit Shelter Trust insures that the worry of the step-parent now getting all the assets, your assets will now be distributed to the beneficiaries as you intended them.

In the event your spouse is still living and would need to dip into the trust’s assets that were set aside for your children, it would be up to your Trustee to assess the necessity of the transfer of funds. The step-parent would not have carte blanche to the funds.

For answers to any questions you may have on a Credit Shelter Trust and making it a part of or your Comprehensive Estate Planning, contact Daniel A. Baron of Baron Law today at 216-573-3723. Let’s work together to see what the best Trust is for your situation.

Helping You and Your Loved Ones Plan for the Future


estate planning attorney

Why Do I Need A Guardianship?

Cleveland, Ohio, Estate Planning and elder law attorney, Daniel A. Baron, offers the following information on creating a Children’s Testamentary Trust for your loved ones. Is it the best option for you when creating your estate plan?

Most people understand and realize that they should name a Legal Guardian for their minor children. However, many people don’t take the necessary step further to consider the financial aspects of guardianship after a parent passes away. Creating a testamentary trust can alleviate this worry and for the most part is inexpensive to create.

Consider Establishing a Children’s Trust

Establishing a Children’s Trust, aka a Testamentary Trust, in your will, now creates a way for you to take care of your minor children after you have passed away. By naming a Trustee to oversee the trust allows them to take care of your children’s financial needs for everyday living and any health issues which may arise, as well as their future education needs.

What happens to your property should you pass and have minor children?

Unless specifically noted otherwise in your will, when you pass and your children are of legal age, they will automatically inherit all your property. But what happens if your children are minors?  When a Children’s Trust is established you can appoint a Trustee, or ‘Property Manager’ to oversee the property to make certain your minor children have a place to live and are cared for.  In the absence of a Property Manager being named, the courts will appoint a Property Custodian.  Depending on your individual circumstances, you may want to consider creating a Life Estate.

Should I create a trust for each of my minor children?

Upon your passing any children of legal age will automatically inherit your assets unless otherwise specified in your will. Let’s assume you have minor children, then it would be wise to set up a trust for each child and name a trustee to oversee the trust to make certain that the funds and property are used for the child’s needs and in their best interest.

If you do not wish to establish a trust for each child, consider a revocable living Trust or  Family Trust.  The Trustee(s) would handle this single trust in the same manner as if you were to set up individual trusts for each child.

When creating your Comprehensive Estate Plan you need to speak with an experienced Estate Planning lawyer. Contact Daniel A. Baron or Baron Law today at 216-573-3723 to answer any questions you may have on a creating a Children’s Trust.  I welcome the opportunity to work with you and help recommend the best solution for your needs.

Helping You and Your Loved Ones Plan for the Future